0 votes

Is there a way to use a Business Unit as a condition of a Business Rule? There's a condition called "If an Initiator is a member of <business unit>", but not a generic "If <object> is a member of <business unit"

It seems to me to be a logical use for Business Units, but I've just purchased the tool, so I'm still learning and I might have missed it.

Thx!

--Joel

by (470 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
by (216k points)
selected by
Best answer

Update 2019

Starting with version 2019.1, the If the object belongs to <Business Unit> condition is available in business rules, custom commands and scheduled tasks.

Original

Hello Joel,

The If <object> is a member of <Business Unit> condition is not present in Adaxes because there is basically no need for it. When you define the Activity Scope for a Business Rule or Scheduled Task, you can include or exclude a Business Unit, which is approximately the same as if you've put the If <object> is / is not a member of <Business Unit> condition in the rule or task. However, if you can't do without this condition, you can easily check whether an object is a mmber of a Business unit with the help of a PowerShell script. For example, the following script returns True if the target object on which a Business Rule, Custom Command or Scheduled Task is executed, is a member of a Business Unit named My Unit:

$businessUnitName = "My Unit" # TODO: modify me

$Context.ConditionIsMet = $False

# Search Business Units with the name specified
$businessUnitsPath = $Context.GetWellKnownContainerPath("BusinessUnits")
$searcher = $Context.BindToObject($businessUnitsPath)
$searcher.SearchFilter = "(&(objectCategory=adm-BusinessUnit)(name=$businessUnitName))"
$searcher.SearchScope = "ADS_SCOPE_SUBTREE"
$searcher.PageSize = 500
$searcher.ReferralChasing = "ADS_CHASE_REFERRALS_NEVER"

try
{
    $searchResult = $searcher.ExecuteSearch()
    $units = $searchResult.FetchAll()
    if ($units.Count -eq 0)
    {
        $Context.LogMessage("No Business Units with name '$businessUnitName' found.", "Warning")
        return
    }

foreach ($unitId in $units)
    {
        $unit = $Context.BindToObject($unitId.AdsPath)
        if ($unit.IsMember($Context.TargetObject))
        {
            $Context.ConditionIsMet = $True
            return
        }
    }

}
finally
{
    $searchResult.Dispose()
}

The script must be used with the If PowerShell script returns true condition. For information on how to add and configure such a condition, see step 6 in the following tutorial: http://www.adaxes.com/tutorials_Simplif ... Script.htm.

Thank you! That was what I was missing!

--Joel

Related questions

0 votes
1 answer

Hi We have a set of business rules which are used for creating new distribution lists, these rules all have the same activity scope of a number of OUs, but the number of OUs ... when a new OU is created, it's not missed from the activity scope. Thanks Matt

asked May 12, 2022 by chappers77 (2.0k points)
0 votes
1 answer

I created a scheduled task (to export data) with a domain as its activity scope, runs perfectly. I modified it to use a Business Unit as its activity scope, now it ... the task effective for" should be checked, but the property is not editable in the dialog.

asked Mar 23, 2015 by sbanks (270 points)
0 votes
1 answer

I have a specific computer property pattern for three different types of computers, which live in three different OUs and are in three different business units. I will have ... How do I enforce a property pattern for a specific business unit at creation time?

asked Jul 17, 2023 by bennett.blodinger (60 points)
0 votes
1 answer

we have created some business units which only return certain items in our directory. when using the web ui, how do we restrict browing functions to only look in the business ... unit. if this is not possible, how is it envisaged that these units are used?

asked Apr 14, 2023 by i*windows (140 points)
0 votes
1 answer

I have 18 domains managed by Adaxes and have noticed that Admin (full access) t all objects acts normally, but for piecemeal scopes like Service Desk that scopes to individual ... role (including 16 denies) and expect it to grow as we add more domains.

asked Sep 20, 2022 by DA-symplr (80 points)
3,326 questions
3,026 answers
7,727 comments
544,678 users