0 votes

Hello @All,

soon I have to manage Exchange linked mailboxes, does Adaxes support the management of linked mailboxes?

Environment:
We have domain A as ressource domain and some external account domains (not in the same Forest) with an outgoing trust.
We want to migrate the mailboxes from the account domains to the ressource domain as linked mailboxes.

Question:
After the migration can I manage the mailbox and the account or do I have to manage both accounts?
The Exchange properties in the ressource domain and the ad account in the account domain?

Is there a good way to do that with a simple way?

Arne

by (360 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
by (216k points)
selected by
Best answer

Update 2019

Starting with version 2019.1, Adaxes supports managing linked mailboxes. For details, have a look at the corresponding section of the related What’s New article: https://www.adaxes.com/info_whats-new_2019.1.htm#linked_mailboxes.

Original

Hello Arne,

Currently, Adaxes does not recognize linked mailboxes, thus you'll have to manage a user's account and his/her linked mailbox separately. Nevertheless, thanks for the suggestion. We've added this to our sandbox and will consider this request for one of the future releases.

What you can do currently with the help of Adaxes is create linked mailboxes for users in the account domains. For example, you can set up a Business Rule triggered after creating a new user in one of the account domains that will automatically created a linked mailbox for the user in the resource domain.

To create linked mailboxes, the Business Rule will need to run a PowerShell script. For information on how to automatically run scripts upon creating a new user, see the following tutorial: http://www.adaxes.com/tutorials_Automat ... ngUser.htm. On step 4 of the tutorial, you need to paste the below script. In the script, modify the following to match your environment:

• $resourceOuDN - specifies the Distinguished Name (DN) of the OU where linked mailboxes will be created;
  • $exchangeServer - specifies the name of the Exchange Server to use for creation of linked mailboxes.
Import-Module Adaxes

$resourceOuDN = "OU=Resource Accounts,DC=domain,DC=com" # TODO: modify me
$exchangeServer = "ExchangeServer.domain.com" # TODO: modify me

# Get the name of the domain of the master account
$linkedDomainName = $Context.GetObjectDomain("%distinguishedName%")

# Get domain controlers in the domain of the master account
$linkedDomainControlers = Get-AdmComputer -LdapFilter "(&(objectCategory=Computer)(userAccountControl:1.2.840.113556.1.4.803:=8192))" `
        -AdaxesService localhost -Server $linkedDomainName

# Get credentials for the resource domain
$exchangeAdminName = $Context.RunAs.UserName
$exchangeAdminPassword = ConvertTo-SecureString -AsPlainText -Force -String $Context.RunAs.Password
$credential = New-Object -TypeName System.Management.Automation.PSCredential($exchangeAdminName, $exchangeAdminPassword)

# Connect to Exchange Server in the resource domain and create linked mailbox
$session = New-PSSession –ConfigurationName Microsoft.Exchange –ConnectionUri "http://$exchangeServer/PowerShell/" –Credential $credential
Import-PSSession $session -AllowClobber -DisableNameChecking

$resourceDomainName = $Context.GetObjectDomain($resourceOuDN)
foreach ($linkedDomainControler in $linkedDomainControlers)
{
    $Context.LogMessage($linkedDomainControler, "Information")
    try
    {
        New-Mailbox -Name "%name%" -LinkedDomainController $linkedDomainControler.DNSHostName -LinkedMasterAccount "%distinguishedName%" `
            -OrganizationalUnit $resourceOuDN -UserPrincipalName "%username%@$resourceDomainName" -ErrorAction Stop
    }
    catch
    {
        $Context.LogMessage($linkedDomainControler.DNSHostName + ":" + $_.Exception.Message, "Warning")
        continue
    }
    break
}

Remove-PSSession $session

Hello Support Team,

that's nice I will test this and giv a Feedback.

Arne

Related questions

0 votes
1 answer

Hi team, we see sometimes the following behavior: Changing a user mailbox to shared, is just moving on-prem mailbox of this user to shared. Online mailbox seems not to ... . What will happen with online mailbox? Will Adaxes generate a remote mailbox at all?

asked Oct 13, 2023 by wintec01 (1.1k points)
0 votes
1 answer

Hi Team I need some assitance with creating a report to pull from exchange online all user mailboxes that have automatic replies enabled. I have been attempting to use ... Where-Object { $_.AutoReplyState -ne "Disabled" } | Select Identity, StartTime, EndTime

asked Aug 25, 2021 by Richard_NRL (90 points)
0 votes
1 answer

how can i create a report which gives me the details from an exchange mailbox as described in the subject? I would like to have a Report for Exchange Mailboxes with OU, Send on Behalf, Full Rights and Send As Rights thank you

asked Feb 22, 2021 by m_st (200 points)
0 votes
1 answer

This article states that managment of shared mailboxes is added. https://www.adaxes.com/info_whats-new_2019.1.htm#exchange Where is the details on implementation? It seems like ... mismatch on what you say and what the software does and lack of instructions.

asked Aug 18, 2020 by ComputerHabit (790 points)
0 votes
1 answer

Hi, It seems that we're having a problem with renaming users. When our administrators rename a user our AD reflects the changes as expected, but the name in the ... 2012.1 Active Directory in 2003 mode, forest mode 2000 Exchange 2007 SP3 Regards, Troels

asked Mar 4, 2013 by THylsberg (70 points)
3,326 questions
3,025 answers
7,724 comments
544,678 users