0 votes

Hi there.
When trying to select a forwarding address I cannot pick disabled users. The mailbox we're trying to forward to is a shared mailbox hence the AD account is disabled.
Is this a limitation or something that can be resolved?

Thanks

by (180 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
by (216k points)

Hello,

Actually, you can pick disabled users, but you can't pick shared mailboxes. It is a limitation of Exchange which doesn't allow you to pick shared mailboxes when setting a forwarding address via the UI, which is also applied by Adaxes.

Nevertheless, Exchange allows forwarding mail to a shared mailbox using PowerShell scripts. For an example on how to set up a forwarding address with the help of a PowerShell script, see the 1st example in the following article from our SDK: http://www.adaxes.com/sdk/?SampleScript ... lFlow.html.

Thanks Support.
Our helpdesk admin who reported this to me showed he is able to pick it in the Exchange Management Console so it would not appear to be a limitation. We're running Exchange 2010 with latest SP and updates. Any other ideas other than powershell?
Thanks.

Hello,

Based on further tests, we've found out that it is impossible to select shared mailboxes in Exchange 2013, however in Exchange 2010 it is possible. When adding Exchange management to Adaxes, we based on Exchange 2013 as the latest version.

We've discussed this with our team and decided that in one of the future releases we'll make it possible to select shared mailboxes as recipients to whom mail is forwarded.

To work around this for now, you can allow users to modify the Forward To property, which is the same as setting a forwarding address in Exchange. To do this, you'll need to add the Forward To field to the form for modifying users. For information on how to customize the form, see the Customize Forms for User Creation and Editing Tutorial. Use it as a guide.

1. On step 5 of the Tutorial, select the Modify tab.

2. On step 6, you'll find information on how to add a field to the form. You need to add the Forward To field.

3. Once you add the field to the form, a dialog box appears where you can configure options for editing the Forward To property. By default, Adaxes does not filter the objects that you can select when editing the Forward To property in the Web Interface, which means that you'll be able to select any object, even if it cannot accept mail, for example, an Organizational Unit. You'll need to specify a LDAP filter that will allow selecting only objects that can accept forwarded mail. Select Show only objects that match the specified LDAP filter.

4. Specify the following filter in the LDAP filter edit box:

(&(|(objectCategory=group)(objectCategory=person)(objectCategory=msExchDynamicDistributionList))(mail=*)(mailNickname=*))

5. Click OK.

Alternatively, you can create a Home Page Action that will allow users to set a forwarding address for a mailbox. To create it, you'll need to configure a new Modify User action that allows editing the Forward To property only. For information on how to create such an action, see section Modify Object in the Configure Home Page Actions Tutorial. On Step 4 of the section, you'll find instructions on how to customize the form used by the action. Modify the form based on the instructions above in this post.

Hello,

Starting from Update 3 to Adaxes 2014.1, you can select shared mailboxes when setting a forwarding address via the Exchange Properties section. You can get the latest release here.

Upgrade Instructions.

For a complete list of new features and improvements, see What's New.

Related questions

0 votes
1 answer

I try to establish a custom command for MS Teams call forwarding. I have created a paramter for the calltarget. But it looks like it has not the right format <br> . ... <ScriptBlock>, <No file>: line 28 How do I modify the paramater? Thanks.

asked Oct 18, 2023 by boris (450 points)
0 votes
1 answer

Hello, you helped us with a script to set the oof-message. Now we want to know, if it's possible to activate/deactivate the mail-forwarding option time-based. In the ... deactivate it accordingly on "param-abw-ende" Can you help me with that? Thanks Carsten

asked Nov 17, 2022 by lohnag (140 points)
0 votes
1 answer

Hi, i look for a solution as a helpdesk point were the agent can establish a mail forwarding in Adaxes if possible with end date. I've set a custom command with ... with the deputy, because the PS script awaits an mailadress. Is there a smoother solution?

asked Oct 5, 2022 by boris (450 points)
0 votes
0 answers

Hello, Why Adaxes cannot manage email forwarding configured as SMTP address? It works only with email forwarding when forwarding is done to mail contact or other mailbox ... frustrated team members because forwarding exists but is not represented in Adaxes...

asked Dec 6, 2018 by DLe (760 points)
0 votes
1 answer

Hi, For our students we use the ForwardingSMTPAddress property to forward their email to an external address like this: Set-Mailbox -Identity mailboxalias - ... virtual property an have a business rule for user change perhaps? /Jonas

asked Sep 5, 2014 by JonasP (50 points)
3,326 questions
3,026 answers
7,727 comments
544,678 users