0 votes

Does Adaxes 2016 support powershell 4 or higher?

Thnx Remco

by (780 points)

This is my question as well.

Would love to use something like gShell instead of GAM to interface with G Suite.

1 Answer

0 votes
by (216k points)
selected by
Best answer

Hello,

No, Adaxes 2016 doesn't yet support PowerShell 4. We are planning PowerShell 3 for the beginning of 2017, PowerShell 4 is yet to be considered.

As a workaround, for now, you can start your PowerShell scripts in a new PowerShell instance. Since it is going to be a separate instance unrelated to Adaxes Service, the limitation of using only PowerShell 2 will not apply there. The latest version of PowerShell installed will be used. For information on how to use the workaround, see the following script sample: Run script in new PowerShell instance.

Would love to use something like gShell instead of GAM to interface with G Suite.

Actually, we've even tried using gShell our scripts, but eventually discarded it. The thing is that currently, to use Google APIs, you need to get a unique authentication code each time you start a new PowerShell session and connect to your Google organization. A quote from gShell documentation:

After you hit enter after typing that in with your own username and domain, you will have to interact with a scope (permissions) wizard in PowerShell - just follow the directions. Once you have finished your primary browser will open up taking you to a page asking you to authenticate.

For this purpose, gShell is completely unusable with Adaxes or any other automation system. This is why, when making scripts for customers, we opted for GAM.

Support,

I'm not sure what you mean about unique authentication code. I used a dev console project and service account to connect with G Suite with only one scope authorization process. After the scope was authorized, everything worked fine in PSISE. You have to do the same type of authorization with GAM.

I was using gShell successfully with PSISE before realizing Adaxes couldn't run it due to archaic PS.

Using a more native method of interacting with Google Suite is much preferred to the roundabout method with GAM. GAM is really built for text driven environments, not object driven. That makes error handling and feedback more difficult. The PS instance workaround is even worse than the GAM method in my opinion, due to the cumbersome wrapping etc. Error handling and feedback again.

For what it's worth, I'm currently using GAM with a different execution method than outlined in the script repo. I just believe using something based in a native PS environment would be more ideal.

Hello,

Based on your post, we've reviewed gShell again and found out there is no more need to generate an access token each time. Instead, you need to pass authorization only once. For your reference, we've added a script based on gShell that you can use as a starting point. See section gShell Script here: http://www.adaxes.com/script-repository ... htm#gShell.

Pay attention, that the Client ID and secret must be saved under the credentials of Adaxes default service administrator (the user you specified during Adaxes installation). You can do that only once and re-use in every gShell-based script in Adaxes.

A+. Thank you for the example script!

Related questions

0 votes
1 answer

We are in the process of updating our Active Directory Domain Controllers to server 2022 and the Domain/Forest function level. Our concern is that we still have Adaxes ... version of Windows server for our DCs and the Domain/Forest function level of 2016?

asked Oct 11, 2023 by sphoeinix (20 points)
0 votes
1 answer

Hi Support, What Version of PowerShell does Adaxes 2018.1 support? Thx

asked Jun 22, 2018 by Napoleon (700 points)
0 votes
1 answer
0 votes
1 answer

Hello, related to my previous question: https://www.adaxes.com/questions/10919/hi-does-adaxes-2016-use-tls-1-2 In Adaxes there is the Cloud Services section that uses Office365 ... want to make sure we've covered as much as we can. Thank you again! Gary

asked Jun 15, 2021 by gazoco (490 points)
0 votes
1 answer

Hi, We're currently running Adaxes 2016, upgrade is planned but not within the next couple of months. As per the below KB MS are deprecating TLS 1.0 & ... /en-us/troubleshoot/azure/active-directory/enable-support-tls-environment Thank you in advance. Gary

asked Jun 8, 2021 by gazoco (490 points)
3,326 questions
3,026 answers
7,727 comments
544,678 users