0 votes

Hello

We are trying to import new users from CSV file and when we try and add the Hire Date attribute it states it is a recognized column. Can you advise if it is possible to do?

by (3.2k points)

Hello,

Could you provide us with as much details on the import process as possible?

As we know there is no Hire Date attribute in Active Directory. If you are using one of Adaxes custom date attributes (e.g. CustomAttributeDate1), make sure that the header of the column in your CSV file contains the correct LDAP name of the attribute (e.g. adm-CustomAttributeDate1).

Sorry, for the lack of details. We were using the method of clicking on the AD environment in Adaxes Console and Importing Data from there with the wizard. It did work with using the ldap name. We have tried using a custom command for importing users with the following script, http://www.adaxes.com/script-repository ... e-s246.htmand are getting mixed results, where some fields (last name or department) are not showing up.

1 Answer

0 votes
by (216k points)
selected by
Best answer

Hello,

There was an error in the script, we've fixed it. Re-copy it from the repository. Also, the behavior of the script has changed a bit:

• Now, the script searches for existing users using the User Logon Name (pre-Windows 2000) property (LDAP name: sAMAccountName).

• You can specify the properties only by their LDAP display names.

• 2 new parameters have been added:

• $accountPasswordColumn - specifies the name of the column that contains account passwords;
    • $sAMAccountNameColumn - specifies the name of the column that contains the User Logon Name (pre-Windows 2000) property of users.

See Import new and updated users from CSV file.

Thank you that new script worked flawlessly. Can you add the logging/email piece to the end for me? We would like to receive an email when the script encounters an error or cannot finish an operation.

We are trying to set up this script separately for when we update user accounts. When selecting activity scope, we are trying to select the domain and do not get the option to deselect child objects. We are trying to have the script just update the accounts that already exist in the forest today, we would like it to send a error report if the user doesn't exist so we can investigate and add via the new user script process. If you need more information please let us know.

Support? Any information you can provide on only updating the users in the CSV and the attrivbutes listed without changing any other attributes. Example we may update the City and State for a user so the CSV would only have data in the samAccountname, City and State columns and the description and ... would be empty. We also would like an email for any failures.

Hello,

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Find the updated script below. A report with errors will be sent to the specified email address after the script execution. If a user does not exist, an error will be added to the report.

The Scheduled Task must be configured for the Domain-DNS object type. The domain here will be used only to trigger the script and does not define the scope of users it will be executed on. If you select, for example, an Organizational Unit as target object, the script will be executed for each OU in the domain.

When selecting activity scope, we are trying to select the domain and do not get the option to deselect child objects.

This behavior is by design. Deselecting domain child objects would remove all the objects under the domain from Activity Scope of the Scheduled Task.

Import-Module Adaxes

$csvFilePath = "\\server\share\ImportedUsers.csv" # TODO: modify me
$accountPasswordColumn = "AccountPassword" # TODO: modify me
$sAMAccountNameColumn = "sAMAccountName" # TODO: modify me

# E-mail settings
$recipient = "recipient@domain.com" # TODO: Modify me
$subject = "Error Report: Import data from csv" # TODO: Modify me
$reportHeader = "<h1><b>Error Report: Import data from csv</b></h1><br/>"# TODO: Modify me
$reportFooter = "<hr /><p><i>Please do not reply to this e-mail, it has been sent to you for notification purposes only.</i></p>" # TODO: modify me

$domainName = $Context.GetObjectDomain("%distinguishedName%")

$report = New-Object "System.Text.StringBuilder"
try
{
    $importedUsers  = Import-Csv -Path $csvFilePath -ErrorAction Stop
}
catch
{
    $message = "An error occurred while importing CSV file '$csvFilePath'. Error: " + $_.Exception.Message
    $Context.LogMessage($message, "Warning")
    [void]$report.Append("<li>$message</li>")
    $importedUsers = @()
}

foreach ($userFromCSV in $importedUsers)
{
    $userObject = @{}
    $accountPassword = $NULL
    foreach ($property in $userFromCSV.PSObject.Properties)
    {
        $propertyName = $property.Name
        $value = $property.Value

if($propertyName -ieq $accountPasswordColumn -and !([System.String]::IsNullOrEmpty($value)))
        {
            $accountPassword = ConvertTo-SecureString -AsPlainText $value -Force
            continue
        }
        elseif ($propertyName -ieq $accountPasswordColumn -and [System.String]::IsNullOrEmpty($value))
        {
            continue
        }

if ([System.String]::IsNullOrEmpty($value))
        {
            continue
        }

if ($value -ieq "True" -or $value -ieq "False")
        {
            $value = [System.Boolean]::Parse($value)
        }

$userObject.Add($propertyName, $value)
    }

# Check whether the user exists
    $userIdentity = $userObject.$sAMAccountNameColumn
    try
    {
        $userExists = Get-AdmUser -Identity $userIdentity `
            -AdaxesService localhost -ErrorAction Stop -Server $domainName
    }
    catch
    {
        $message = "$userIdentity`: An error occurred while searching user. Error: " + $_.Exception.Message
        continue
    }

# If user exists, update account
    try
    {
        Set-AdmUser -Identity $userExists.DistinguishedName -Replace $userObject `
            -AdaxesService localhost -Server $domainName -ErrorAction Stop
    }
    catch
    {
        $message = "$userIdentity`: An error occurred while updating user. Error: " + $_.Exception.Message
    }

if ([System.String]::IsNullOrEmpty($accountPassword))
    {
        continue
    }

try
    {
        Set-AdmAccountPassword -Identity $userExists.DistinguishedName -NewPassword $accountPassword `
            -Reset -Server $domainName -AdaxesService localhost -ErrorAction Stop
    }
    catch
    {
        $message = "$userIdentity`: An error occurred while updating the password for user. Error: " + $_.Exception.Message
    }
}

if ($report.Length -eq 0)
{
    return
}

# Build html
$html = $reportHeader + "<ul style=""list-style: none;"">" + $report.ToString() + "</ul>" + $reportFooter

# Send report
$Context.SendMail($recipient, $subject, $NULL, $html)

Related questions

0 votes
1 answer

hello i'm new with Adaxes i'm try to creat schuadle task to import a spefice user list by thier username id after that just update City for them by bulk updating . kinly advise

asked Aug 29, 2023 by sudox (20 points)
0 votes
1 answer

Have a csv file of users that I need to import into Adaxes. I had initially found an article for this, but upon going today, it gave me an error (looks like it was deleted). Thank you

asked Nov 19, 2022 by wangl (20 points)
0 votes
1 answer

Hello, We'd like to create a scheduled task that: Imports a csv of users (there's a column with header sAMAccountName) Disables the account Changes the password to a random ... we can build on that knowledge for other tasks we'd like to schedule.) Thanks!

asked Nov 13, 2019 by gfreeman (120 points)
0 votes
1 answer

I have followed the How-To on creating a csv and importing new users into a specific OU. What I need is some understanding on how I can retrieve the password ... pulls the username, password, and email address from the user creation process. Thanks, Tony

asked May 18, 2017 by cyspry (480 points)
0 votes
1 answer

Hi, In the SDK I find information on how to use Powershell to read and create scripts in custom commands and business rules, but I can not find the same for ... information like the embedded scripts for the report and custom columns? -- Morten A. Steien

asked Jul 27, 2023 by Morten A. Steien (300 points)
3,348 questions
3,049 answers
7,791 comments
545,058 users