0 votes

Is there a script we can use to take an OnPrem exchange mailbox and move it to Office365?

Adaxes version

Also is this something that is already part of 2018.1?

by (50 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
by (270k points)
selected by
Best answer

Hello,

Is there a script we can use to take an OnPrem exchange mailbox and move it to Office365?

Yes, have a look at section Move mailbox to Office 365 of the following help article: https://www.adaxes.com/help/?HowDoI.Per ... mO365.html.

Also is this something that is already part of 2018.1?

The same approach can be used in Adaxes versions 2018.1 and 2018.2.

Hello,

The suggested method does not work for me. I get this error:

Account Adaxes is running on has Domain Admin permissions.
Why is it complaining about credentials?
How can I provide one?

Thanks!

Hello,

To connect to Office 365 the CreateMoveMailboxToO365Request method uses the credentials of the account specified for the corresponding tenant in Adaxes. As for the remote server (specified in the first method parameter), to connect to it, the credentials that were specified during the domain registration in Adaxes are used (the AD domain where the user is located). Probably, the error occurs because the credentials used to access Exchange on-premise cannot be validated by Exchange Online. To remedy the issue, try to specify the credentials for the domain explicitly. For information on how to change the credentials, have a look at the following help article: https://www.adaxes.com/help/?HowDoI.Man ... nInfo.html. On step 5 of the guide, select This account and enter the credentials of an account with Organization Management and Recipient Management roles assigned in Exchange on-premise.

You can use the credentials of the Adaxes service account, just make sure that you specify them explicitly rather than selecting the Adaxes service account option.

Awesome! This works now.

Should I expect any implications due to specifying credentials explicitly rather than selecting service account option?

Also are there any options to control when warning messages should appear for specific actions in Adaxes? Because for brand new mailbox there will be no corrupted/oversize items so warnings are not needed:

Thanks!

Hello!

Should I expect any implications due to specifying credentials explicitly rather than selecting service account option?

There should be no issues specifying the credentials explicitly.

Also are there any options to control when warning messages should appear for specific actions in Adaxes? Because for brand new mailbox there will be no corrupted/oversize items so warnings are not needed:

The warning in your screenshot is generated by Exchange Online. Adaxes writes all execution warnings to the execution log. This behavior is by design and can’t be disabled.
As far as we understood, you are creating new users with mailboxes and moving the mailboxes to Exchange Online after creating them. In this case, you don’t have to move mailboxes. Mailboxes are created in Exchange Online when the appropriate Office 365 license is assigned to the users.
If Exchange is in hybrid mode, Adaxes automatically enables and disables remote mailboxes when assigning and revoking Office 365 licenses with Exchange Online. You can configure how Adaxes enables or disables remote mailboxes. For details, have a look at the following help article: https://www.adaxes.com/help/?HowDoI.Per ... boxes.html.

This is for a shared mailbox type, the only type that cannot be provisioned in Hybrid Exchange the usual way...

Thanks!

Hello!

If you are using Exchange 2013 with update CU21 or later or Exchange 2016 with update CU10 or later, you can create remote shared mailboxes using the Enable-RemoteMailbox cmdlet with the -Shared parameter. If you have another version of Exchange, the approach you are using is correct.

Thanks. That's great news.
So Microsoft is fixing at least something.

Related questions

0 votes
1 answer

Is there a script we can use to take an OnPrem exchange mailbox and move it to Office365? Adaxes version 2017.2 3.8.14823.0 Also is this something that is already part of 2018.1?

asked Jan 16, 2019 by hgletifer (1.3k points)
0 votes
1 answer

I have setup a custom command to move a mailbox from on site to O365 using https://www.adaxes.com/help/?HowDoI.Per ... mO365.html and I'm getting the following error ... deatils OS: Windows server 2008 r2 Exchange: 2013 Adaxes details: 2017.2 3.8.14823.0

asked Jul 1, 2019 by hgletifer (1.3k points)
0 votes
1 answer

Is there a way to export mailboxes to individual PST files 180 days after the account was set to expire? /Kaj

asked Dec 5, 2017 by KajLehtinen (650 points)
0 votes
1 answer

Hi, based on this article How to create Resource Mailboxes a few slide modifications aside we are currently creating resource and equipment mailboxes in our on-premise environment. ... to O365. Does this work at all? Appreciate your input. Kind Regards Ingemar

asked Oct 26, 2016 by ijacob (960 points)
0 votes
1 answer

I'd like some help with a script to revoke a users rights to a shared mailbox upon being removed from a security group. I already have the reverse, a script that adds users to a shared mailbox, if they are a member of a group, now I just need the reverse.

asked Mar 20 by dominik.stawny (160 points)
3,326 questions
3,025 answers
7,724 comments
544,678 users