Customize Active Directory Search
Adaxes Active Directory Web Interface provides very powerful capabilities for Active Directory search. For example, administrators can use the Web Interface to perform advanced queries, like 'search for users whose accounts expired recently' or 'search for users whose passwords never expire' or 'search for Global Security groups that contain a specific member', etc. But such complex queries are hardly useful for regular users. In the majority of cases, for regular users it is enough to search for their colleagues by basic fields, like Name, Title, and Department.
In order not to confuse users with too many search options, the Web Interface can be configured to provide search only for specific types of Active Directory objects (e.g. Users and Contacts) and only by a limited set of search parameters. If necessary, it is possible to completely disable the Active Directory search feature in the Web Interface.
In this tutorial, you will learn how to customize the Simple Search, Alphabetical Search, and Quick Search features in the Adaxes Web Interface.
- Activate the Simple Search tab.
- In the Object Types list, check the types of AD objects users will be able to search for.
- If you want an object type to be selected by default, check this type in the Selected by Default column.
- In the Available Properties list, specify the properties to be available for search. Click Add to add a new property to the list. To delete properties from the list, select these properties and click Delete.
In the Object Types list, check the types of AD objects users will be able to search for. If you want an object type to be selected by default, check this type in the Selected by Default column.
- Activate the AD Browsing tab.
- Click Configure Columns.
In the Configure Columns dialog, do the following:
- In the Available Columns list, select the columns you need.
- Select the Customize settings for the selected columns option.
- Check the Directory Search check box.
- To display the selected columns in search results by default, select the Display by default item in the drop-down list.
- To disallow users to view the selected columns in search results, select the
Never display item.
When the Never display option is selected for a column, this column will never be displayed in search results, and users will not be able to add this column using the Column Chooser.
- Click OK.