0 votes

Hi,
Was wondering if there's a nice way to manually or automatically check if a username or an extension is in use before creating a user?

What do other people do? If there wasn't a nice way, I was thinking it might just be OK to follow the process of seeing an error in the results, deleting the user and starting again - but would rather the checks first.

by (120 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
by (216k points)
selected by
Best answer

Hello Adam,

You can check whether the username is unique using a PowerShell script. If it is not unique, you can, for example, automatically add a digit to the end of the username. To learn how to do that, refer to the following tutorial: http://www.adaxes.com/tutorials_Simplif ... Script.htm. On Step 5, see Example 2.

If you prefer cancelling creation of a new user instead of adding a digit, that can also be done. For this purpose, use the following version of the script:

Import-Module Adaxes

$username = $Context.GetModifiedPropertyValue("samAccountName")

function IsUserNameUnique($username)
{
   $user = Get-AdmUser $username -erroraction silentlycontinue
   return $user -eq $Null
}
if (-not(IsUserNameUnique($username)))
{
    $Context.Cancel("The username is not unique.")
}

As for the extension, do you specify it using a certain property of the user account? If you do, you can use the same approach to check extensions specified for new users.

That's great thanks - I'm not sure what to replace $username with for the phone, as the options shown when pressing '$' don't relate to telephone. Can I call that field somehow to check?

Hello Adam,

Sure, here you are:

Import-Module Adaxes

function IsTelephoneNumberUnique($telephoneNumber)
{
   $user = Get-AdmUser -Filter 'telephoneNumber -eq $telephoneNumber' -erroraction silentlycontinue
   return $user -eq $Null
}

# Get the telephone number
$telephoneNumber = $Context.GetModifiedPropertyValue("telephoneNumber")

# Check if the telephone number is unique
if (-not(IsTelephoneNumberUnique($telephoneNumber)))
{
    $Context.Cancel("The telephone number is already in use")
}

Thanks, looks like the telephone is working but for the username one I get this error:

Cannot validate argument on parameter 'Identity'. The argument is null. Supply a non-null argument and try the command again.

This is the script, just copied/pasted:

Import-Module Adaxes
{
   return $user -eq $Null
}
{
}

Hello Adam,

Sorry, there was a line missing. Here's the correct version of the script:

Import-Module Adaxes

$username = $Context.GetModifiedPropertyValue("samAccountName")

{
   return $user -eq $Null
}
{
}

Thanks - tested and works perfectly now :)

Thanks! I was about to report this as well, but it now works perfectly!

Related questions

0 votes
0 answers

I used this script from the repository https://www.adaxes.com/script-repository/check-if-number-of-unused-microsoft-365-licenses-is-below-limit-s594.htm I have amended to include ... count is below what I specify. Please can you advise what I am doing wrong.

asked Jan 31 by MikeBeattie (90 points)
0 votes
1 answer

I've tried the following script to adapt the UPN to the country, the step will be processed in "before user creation" but the UPN stays ... # Save changes $Context.TargetObject.Put("userPrincipalName", $userPrincipalName) $Context.TargetObject.SetInfo()

asked Oct 12, 2022 by boris (450 points)
0 votes
1 answer

Hi Team, We are using a set of form/business rules/custom commands for user creation that move user account to the right OU given the Office attribute value. I would ... , but can't find valuable information on the web site. Thanks in advance Regards Stephen

asked Dec 12, 2012 by sroux (800 points)
0 votes
1 answer

We have a business need for automating and controlling the creation of service accounts in our AD. For example, we want all new service accounts to start with "svc_" for ... customize the "New User" form to create a "New Service Account" workflow in Adaxes?

asked Sep 10, 2021 by joshua.lapchuk (60 points)
0 votes
1 answer

All, I was wondering if there is a way to add check boxes that correspond to custom commands. Ie if I as the administrator want to give another user the ability to create ... to specific groups. All this would be avaliable from the new user form. Thanks, Tony

asked Nov 5, 2015 by cyspry (480 points)
3,315 questions
3,013 answers
7,701 comments
544,542 users