0 votes

Hi Guys,
I' d like to get user surname. It's easy using PS but if I want to do it using such ADSI script

[Reflection.Assembly]::LoadWithPartialName("Softerra.Adaxes.Adsi")

# Connect to the Adaxes service
$admNS = New-Object("Softerra.Adaxes.Adsi.AdmNamespace")
$admService = $admNS.GetServiceDirectly("localhost")
# Bind user
$userDN = "CN=John Smith,OU=Users,DC=contoso,DC=com"
$user = $admService.OpenObject("Adaxes://$userDN", $NULL, $NULL, 0)
$surname = $user.Get("surname")
$surname

I get: Exception calling "Get" with "1" argument(s): "The 'surname' property cannot be found in the cache."

Do you have any idea, why?
Best regards.

by (510 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
by (1.2k points)
selected by
Best answer

The AD attribute is sn and Adaxes aliases this as Last Name. Try sn instead of surname

Hello,

As jiambor mentioned, the LDAP name of the attribute is sn. In scripts, you need to use LDAP names for attributes, not the names under which attributes appear in Adaxes. Thus, a correct version of the script would be:

[Reflection.Assembly]::LoadWithPartialName("Softerra.Adaxes.Adsi")

# Connect to the Adaxes service
$admNS = New-Object("Softerra.Adaxes.Adsi.AdmNamespace")
$admService = $admNS.GetServiceDirectly("localhost")
# Bind to user
$userDN = "CN=John Smith,OU=Users,DC=contoso,DC=com"
$user = $admService.OpenObject("Adaxes://$userDN", $NULL, $NULL, 0)
try
{
    $surname = $user.Get("sn")
}
catch
{
    # What to do if the attribute is empty
}

If you are trying to run the script as a part of a Business Rule, Custom Command or Scheduled Task, the script can be simplified by removing unnecessary calls:

# Bind to user
$user = $Context.BindToObjectByDN("CN=John Smith,OU=Users,DC=contoso,DC=com")
try
{
    $surname = $user.Get("sn")
}
catch
{
}

If the user whose surname you are trying to get is the target object of the operation, this can be made even easier:

try
{
    $surname = $Context.TargetObject.Get("sn")
}
catch
{
}

Related questions

0 votes
1 answer

I'm not able to retrieve the Description of a user using ADSI. I'm trying user.Get("description").ToString() on IADsUser I get the error, The 'description' property cannot be found in the cache. Is there a different method I need to use to get Description?

asked Feb 6, 2017 by sdavidson (730 points)
0 votes
1 answer

Hi Guys, Short question. In our organisation we have a buch of the security group that have a specific "class". The class is simple number stored in the ExtensionAttribute1. I'd ... tried to do the something like that with ADSI :cry: Could you please help me?

asked Dec 8, 2014 by axmaster (510 points)
0 votes
1 answer

Code is below. But the subject says it all. When I run the command targeted in this function via the Adaxes GUI or the web interface, it runs without issue. When run using this ... = $null } } end { $admNS = $admService = $credUser = $credPwd = $null } }

asked Apr 3 by jrtolle (20 points)
0 votes
1 answer

I'm working on trying to update a script for updating office addresses on-demand. I'd like to leverage ADSI for this and I see that you can clear all condition sets ... seeing a documentation gap here or I'm running past the method needed for this. Thanks!

asked Jan 30, 2023 by AbbyR (40 points)
0 votes
1 answer

I am trying to do a bulk update of a few custom properties that I added. I read this article Custom Properties in Search & PowerShell?. But I am not able to retrieve ... able to get other AD properties using the Get, e.g, user.Get("samAccountName") works

asked Jun 20, 2013 by sdavidson (730 points)
3,350 questions
3,051 answers
7,791 comments
545,068 users