Hi! I'm wanting to perform the retirement of the last Exchange server in an installation, but I need to adjust the SOA (Start of Authority) of mailboxed users, as well as a bunch of distribution groups and contacts.

Does Adaxes understand the "onPremisesSyncBehavior/isCloudManaged" change on the onprem objects?

ago by (20 points)

1 Answer

ago by (311k points)
0 votes

Hello,

I'm wanting to perform the retirement of the last Exchange server in an installation, but I need to adjust the SOA (Start of Authority) of mailboxed users, as well as a bunch of distribution groups and contacts.

With Adaxes, there is no need to change the SOA after retiring your last on-premises Exchange server. Everything can keep working just fine. For more details about Adaxes functioning after the procedure and recommended actions, have a look at the following article: https://www.adaxes.com/questions/16903/does-adaxes-function-after-decommissioning-exchange-server.

Does Adaxes understand the "onPremisesSyncBehavior/isCloudManaged" change on the onprem objects?

The attribute does not influence Adaxes functionality. If you are still going to change the SOA, you will also need to make sure that only the corresponding objects are actually updated by your workflows. However, updating the attribute might influence your Adaxes licensing. With the current settings, if you register a Microsoft Entra domain and a synchronized Active Directory domain in Adaxes, synchronized users will only be counted once toward the license limit. With the update you mentioned, it will be two separate accounts consuming two Adaxes licenses.

ago by (20 points)
0

OK, maybe i should re-phrase it a bit differently - I have a number of contacts and groups that i want to change the SOA on before I start the Exchange server decom process. I converted a few samples and tested, and when adjusting the object directly in 365 and Exchange Online, it works, but when trying to do this in Adaxes, it adjusts the "old" onprem object even though with SOA changes, anything onprem will no longer be synced up. Should I either set up a Cloud Sync configuration to try and re-sync that info back up, or consider performing a manual migration of those groups and contacts?

ago by (311k points)
0

Hello,

If you set the isCloudManaged attribute to True, the synchronization is no longer in place. The behavior comes from Microsoft and that is the way it works. It is not related to Adaxes. As a result, setting the attribute gives you two separate accounts. For the on-premises AD object in Adaxes you can manage AD properties and on-premises Exchange settings. For the cloud account you can manage their properties and Exchange Online settings. There is no such thing as re-sync or anything like that.

For your information, managing cloud-only (Exchange Online) contacts is not supported in Adaxes.

Related questions

We have a client that is using another product for tracking change history and Active Directory auditing. Does Adaxes provide such tracking for Active Directory objects, passwords, etc. ?

asked May 7, 2024 by daviddickerson (20 points)
0 votes
1 answer

Hi, The built in report for forwarded users does not return any results for our environment, likely because we mainly use Exchange Online. I am attempting to generate my own ... you please point me in the direction of where I am going wrong? Thanks, Gareth

asked Oct 15, 2025 by gareth.aylward (210 points)
0 votes
1 answer

I’m looking for a way to take a unique number from Adaxes and use part of it to create an employee ID for the AD attribute field.

asked Dec 25, 2023 by cewilson (300 points)
0 votes
1 answer

I'm seeing this error when I run a user deprovision. It still executes the script but nobody likes errors! Run PowerShell Script 'DuoDeprovisionExport' For the user. The term ' ... running an export script in the first place for my Duo user info. ) Thanks.

asked Feb 19, 2020 by rainamaina (60 points)
0 votes
1 answer

As part of offboarding a user I need to generate a report of all AD groups, Entra groups and all Azure / M365 roles and licenses the user has before they ... about keeping a record of the leavers configured profile to simplify cloning them onto new starters.

asked Jun 24, 2024 by dhardyuk (20 points)
0 votes
1 answer